Research At Huntington Hospital
At Huntington Hospital we are committed to improving medical care and outcomes through research innovation. Our clinical research department provides support for medical research in a clinical setting. Carefully selected clinical research trials complement our compassionate community care, and allow our physicians and nurses to explore new ideas and push the practice of medicine forward.
Our Clinical Trials
Whether we are studying a new leadless pacemaker that can reduce infection and restriction of patient mobility, or examining new methods of pain control for women undergoing breast cancer surgery, our team is always looking for new ways to improve patients’ outcomes and experiences.
For more information, contact our clinical research department at (626) 397-3877.
Currently we have many open clinical trials, primarily in the areas of cardiology, neurology and oncology. Some highlights from these programs include:
- Cardiovascular. Our cardiovascular trials include studies of investigational drugs that may help lower cholesterol, treat irregular heartbeats (atrial fibrillation) and prevent heart attacks. We also conduct clinical trials of approved and investigational devices, including those approved to treat heart failure, investigational pacemakers without leads, investigational implantable defibrillators that are MRI-compatible, and an approved cardiac defibrillator that may help diabetes patients.
- Neurology. Our neurology studies look at drugs that may help and prevent strokes and TIAs (transient ischemic attacks).
- Oncology. Our oncology trials include studies sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as well as studies developed by physicians at Huntington Hospital. Our team is always looking for new technologies that may improve outcomes and better control pain for breast cancer patients undergoing surgery. We also conduct alternative medicine studies looking at how acupuncture and meditation may help cancer patients.
Nursing Research And Innovation
At Huntington Hospital we are committed to advancing nursing excellence and nursing care through nursing research. RNs learn how to find research evidence and best practices in order to improve nursing care and support care delivery. RNs participate in nursing research to systematically solve clinical problems they identify and present these findings to inform others at professional conferences. Learn more about nursing research.
As a patient at Huntington Hospital you will always receive excellent medical care. You may also be eligible to gain access to research trials. Participation in research can help benefit future medical treatments, and the team at Huntington Hospital values the commitment made by our patients who choose to participate in clinical trials.
Our clinical research department is staffed by professional nurses who are dedicated to clinical research and their patient. They provide exceptional care to their patients and are available to provide support and answer questions should you choose to participate in a clinical trial.
To find out if you are a good candidate for a current research trial, call us at (626) 397-3877.
As an organization we value research activity. Our commitment to clinical investigation and comprehensive support will make us an excellent partner in your efforts to bring new treatments to patients. Huntington Hospital has been the research program of choice for many research sponsors, due to our large and complex patient population. Additionally, we provide excellent support including detailed record-keeping and a strict dedication to quality control.
Our research team is staffed by five full-time registered nurses dedicated solely to our clinical trials, as well as a full-time regulatory manager and full-time contracts and budgets manager. Our research nurses bring over 100 years of combined nursing experience, and over 25 years of combined research experience.
For our 2015-2016 studies:
- Average start-up time was 83 days.
- In the top ten enrolling sites for six out of our 12 cardiovascular studies.
- Protocol deviation rate is 0 percent.
- Average data submission time is under 3 days.
- Compliance rate with study window is 100 percent.
- Withdrawal rate is 0.76 percent.
We have experience with NIH, NCI, NHLBI, NINDS, and industry sponsored studies. We work with many large research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, medical device companies, and CROs. Most of our current sponsors have worked with us for several years and on many different studies demonstrating their satisfaction in our program and their confidence in our results. We have also built ongoing relationships with sponsors such as Sanofi, Boston Scientific, St. Jude Medical, University of Rochester, University of California at Los Angeles and Duke Clinical Research Institute.
We are working with new sponsors all of the time and would appreciate the opportunity to work with you.
To learn more about how we may be able to work together, call (626) 397-3877.
- Chronic heart failure.
- Atrial fibrillation.
- Aortic valve stenosis.
- Acute myocardial infarction.
- High risk sudden cardiac death.
- Ischemic stroke.
- Hemorrhagic stroke.
- Transient ischemic attacks.
- Stroke of unknown origin.
- Invasive breast cancer.
- Ductal carcinoma in situ.
- Breast cancer – sentinel lymph node disease.
- Breast cancer – axillary lymph node disease.
- Lymphedema prevention.
- Dense breast tissue .
- Postoperative pain management.
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting.