A Legacy of World-Class, Compassionate Care
A 544-bed nonprofit hospital that’s nationally ranked for quality and safety, Huntington Hospital in Pasadena – an affiliate of Cedars-Sinai Health System – has provided world-class, compassionate care since 1892.
From the start, Huntington Hospital has been sustained by our community: Local residents helped found the hospital; a gift of land from Caroline Walkley allowed us to build our first dedicated facilities; and Henry E. Huntington’s estate helped sustain the hospital through the Great Depression and beyond. These and many other local leaders laid the foundation for excellence at the hospital.
131 years later, Huntington Hospital remains committed to providing the highest quality health care and emergency services to the San Gabriel Valley and beyond. Only six years younger than Pasadena itself, our hospital has grown with the community we serve. Today, we continue to enhance the services and programs that make us the hospital of choice for people throughout our region.
1892 Pasadena Hospital AssociationA group of prominent local citizens forms the Pasadena Hospital Association.
1899 Temporary Hospital
A temporary hospital opens with 16 bed at the northwest corner of Raymond Avenue and Green Street.
1900 Committee appointed
A committee was appointed to raise funds to build and endow a permanent hospital building.
1902 Pasadena Hospital opens
The 26-bed Pasadena Hospital opens on the present site of Huntington Hospital.
1907 Operating Room
The hospital now includes a maternity wing, a medical wing, and this “complete and convenient operating room.”
1926 Volunteer program
Huntington Hospital’s volunteer program begins. Today, more than 1,400 volunteers provide assistance hospital-wide.
1936 Henry E Huntington
A $2 million gift from the estate of Henry E. Huntington allows the hospital to thrive despite the Great Depression.
1955 Medicine Residency program
Huntington Hospital launches our Internal Medicine Residency program in 1955, followed by Surgical Residency Program in 1957.
1957 Maternity Wing
Huntington Hospital opens a new maternity wing, thanks to a generous gift from Edward R. Valentine.
1964 Wingate Building
The Wingate Building – housing one of the nation’s first intensive care units – opens at Huntington Hospital.