We know that fighting cancer affects every part of your life. We offer integrative oncology services as part of our support network to balance the whole person – physically, mentally and emotionally – while state-of-the-art conventional medicine does its work.
Call (626) 995-9001 to learn more about the Huntington Cancer Center and receive a physician referral.
Suzie Kline, Ph.D., Manager, Integrative Oncology
“No other hospital in the area has this breadth of evidence-based services complementing your cancer treatment. Even better, because of support from our wonderful donors, many of these integrative oncology services are free or very low-cost. Integrative oncology can reduce pain and complications from conventional cancer treatments, and improve your quality of life.”
– Suzie Kline, Ph.D., manager, integrative oncology
Learn About Integrative Oncology
- Meet your integrative oncology care team
- View our services
- For more information, please call Dr Kline at 626-807-9168
What is Integrative Oncology?
At the Huntington Cancer Center, we believe that the comprehensive approach, including integrative oncology, improves results and increases quality of life. That’s why we offer a broader program of complementary support services than any other cancer center in the area. These cost-effective services are evidence-based, and often linked to clinical trials underway here at Huntington Hospital.
The characteristics of our integrative oncology services are:
- Patient-centered – Your therapies will be chosen based on your informed decisions.
- Wholistic – addresses all dimensions of health: body, mind, spirit and physical/psychological/social environment.
- Empowering and educating patients to make changes in their lifestyles.
- Addressing root causes instead of disease and symptoms.
How Can Integrative Oncology Help You?
When complementary medicine is integrated with conventional medical treatment for cancer patients, it is also called “Integrative Oncology.” Several studies suggest that complementary medicine can improve mood and quality of life, and relieve symptoms. This stress relief might help your immune system function better and allow you to better cope with treatment-related side effects. Integrative therapy has been shown to reduce the following symptoms:
- Pain (cancer pain, joint pain, muscle pain, nerve pain, stomach pain, etc)
- Tightness from surgeries and radiation therapy
- Web syndrome
- Diarrhea and constipation
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Chemo-induced Peripheral neuropathy
- Depression and anxiety
- Stress management
Scientific Research into Integrative Oncology
Although complementary medicine techniques have been used for centuries, the availability of scientific data on many of these techniques has been limited. But as complementary therapies become more popular and well known, more research is being done. This research includes studies conducted by the National Institutes of Health National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
We are conducting integrative oncology clinical trials here at Huntington Hospital.
There is no scientific evidence that any individual complementary therapy can cure cancer. Complementary therapies work best combined with conventional medical treatments as part of your total treatment plan. Always talk to your doctor about any complementary therapy you would like to try.